Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Belle And Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

I'm always a little bit nervous to write a review of an album that a lot of people feel very passionate about. I'm almost afraid of the backlash that a negative review could earn me. But fortunately, I love this album just as much as all the other Belle and Sebastian fanatics.

Released in 1996, If You're Feeling Sinister is the second album from the Scottish indie pop legends Belle and Sebastian. The sounds heard within are often confusing and beautiful. I say confusing because their music often sounds very out of place. Almost like its from another period of time, somewhere between Simon and Garfunkel and The Smiths, with all the pop aesthetics of the great bands in between. Belle and Sebastian have a huge bag of influences and their second album shows that diversity and merges it into their songs perfectly.

Another thing I love about this album, is just how cute it is. Every song is written about something most of us can relate to, and that sentimentality is what has won over so many fans and critics alike.

Anyway, I could go on forever about this album. I'd suggest that you go buy it, but I bet you already own it. Why not go put it back in the record player for old times sake?


No comments: