Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Caribou - Andorra

Caribou is the stage name of musician Daniel Victor Snaith. His latest album Andorra reminds me of Of Montreal. I think it's important to get that out of the way as soon as possible. Their style is very similar, lots of synthesized songs that sound almost like dance songs with overwhelming lyrics and tons of production.

I don't want to sound too harsh, considering I do really like this album. But I suppose I just am not that into this new style of indie music that groups like Caribou and Animal Collective are creating. It's almost comparable to trance music, with endless loops of droney patterns and loops. I thought the song Niobe in particular would never end.

But to truly LOVE an album like this would require a lot of listening, and maybe even seeing the artist perform live. Considering I have done neither of these things I can only respectfully say I think this album could be better. The album shows a great deal of work and is very beautiful, especially the song Sandy, but I felt a little disappointed after listening to it several times, almost like something was missing.

While I don't know if I will ever know what is missing from this album, maybe you will. Andorra is a great CD for the right audience, that part is clear. It is definitely worth a listen and you should find out if it is right for you.


No comments: